DES MOINES MCKINLEY AVENUE
McKinley Avenue is a minor arterial roadway located in a mostly community residential neighborhood. Recent improvements had occurred at each end of the corridor, however most of the existing corridor is a two-lane rural section with no curb and gutter, restricted site distances, limited storm sewer, large grade differences throughout the corridor, and a sidewalk on the north side of the roadway.
McClure was selected to manage, and perform survey, sewer televising, traffic signal design, geotechnical design, roadway design, storm sewer design and improvement recommendations, lighting design, fee title and easement plats, and aid in public information meetings and one-on-one meetings with local residents and businesses.
The project included the design, analysis, and review of two conceptual layouts, including one concept that included buffered bikes lanes and one concept that included a 10-ft multi-use trail. Upon review with City staff, council members, and residents, it was decided to design the 10-ft multi-use trail along the north side of road. Overall, the design will include pavement reconstruction with redesign of the profile to improve project site distances, ADA compliant sidewalks, driveways, storm sewer, subdrain, water main, retaining walls, stairs, traffic signal replacement at SW 9th Street, fiber interconnect, street lighting, detailed project staging to maintain access to homes at all times, right-of-way design and acquisitions, and erosion control. Additionally, McClure is coordinating relocations of a full utility corridor due to conflicts with high-pressure and low-pressure gas mains, a major fiber conduit duct, Des Moines Water Works water main, and electrical poles and lines.
- Developed design alternatives to review with City staff, council members, and residents.
- Developed and reviewed multiple alignments, profiles, and typical sections while utilizing unique design improvements to reduce property acquisitions and property impacts.
- Provided driveway design alternatives to reduce steep driveway slopes.
- Provided full topographic and boundary survey as well as sewer televising.
- In depth coordination with utility companies to provide relocation locations and eliminate conflicts.
Designed DMWW water main.