The Hoover Nature Trail consists of 6 miles of hard surface trail extending from the City of Solon to Seven Sisters Road in Johnson County. This trail segment has been referred to as the “Missing Link”. With the trail complete, users will have access to over 200 miles of trail networks. This project connects the Cedar River Trail, Cedar Valley Nature Trail, and the Hoover Trail forming an essential portion of the American Discovery Trail in Eastern Iowa.
The Hoover Trail project includes three bridges, a box culvert, numerous drainage culverts, and a trail underpass of Ely Road. Working with the US Army Corps of Engineers, the Iowa DNR, City of Solon, and Johnson County Conservation Board, McClure developed a final alignment which highlights historically and naturally significant features. Through diligent and continued multi-agency coordination, NEPA clearance was obtained in November of 2015 for the full corridor. The overall project was constructed in three segments;
- Southern Segment from Solon to Polk Avenue
- Middle Segment from Polk Avenue to Ely Road
- Northern Segment from Ely Road to Seven Sisters Road
- Multi-agency coordination with the US Army Corps of Engineers, the Iowa DNR, City of Solon, and Johnson County Conservation Board
- Provides trail users with access to over 200 miles of trail networks
- Forms an essential portion of the American Discovery Trail in Eastern Iowa.