GLENN AVENUE RECONSTRUCTION (SOUTH CECELIA STREET TO SOUTH RUSTIN STREET)
Glenn Avenue is an important arterial street in the Morningside neighborhood, with an average traffic volume of 6,800 vehicles per day.
The final phase of reconstruction (South Cecelia Street to South Rustin Street) will provide a rebuilt roadway with new utilities all the way from South Cecelia Street to the Hillcrest Shopping Center.
The project involves full reconstruction with new pavement, sidewalks, water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer and subdrains. Also included is the realignment of South Alice Street to create a true cross intersection.
This project required 4 acquisitions of property and 16 temporary easements. The project is currently under construction with a target completion of November 2020. A Critical Closure Incentive is included well as a Final Completion Incentive/Disincentive.
- In order to improve intersection geometry and safety, the intersection of South Alice and Glenn is being realigned.
- Because of the impacts and disruption to the homes and businesses, McClure and the City coordinated public open house meetings to inform the public and get feedback.
- Coordination with MidAmerican Energy and other utilities companies was required.
- The project is following the Iowa DOT project development process because of federal aid funding.
- The project is being 80% funded through STP.